Saturday 30 June 2012

Quick berry cake

I felt like baking a cake today, so I called my parents if I should come round in the afternoon for coffee and cake. What a stupid question! As long some sweets are involved, my dad is in for everything, so of course they said yes.
I had some currants in my fridge, which were too sour for me taste to just eat them like this so I knew I have to use them for baking or so. When I had a look into one of my favorite baking books I came across some Raspberry and white chocolate slices and decided to try it with the currants.

It was the first time I tried blindbaking and it didn't really worked out as I used not enough beans. So make sure that you'll get enough heavy stuff on top of the pastry to keep it flat! My substitute grandparents by the way wash stones of apricots or plums and use them instead of beans for blindbaking.

You'll need for one small cake, perfect for 4 servings:
150 gramm of shortcrust pastry - I found one that is already in a small baking dish so there is no additional work
300 g currants, raspberries, blueberries or whatever berry you'd like
200 g Philadelphia
50 g yoghurt
50 g sugar
50 g grouned almonds
50 g white chocolate, in small pieces
1 egg
Some sliced almondes
Some lemon zest if you like

Preheat the oven to 160°. Put the pastry in a baking form (or take one that is already in a form as I did.... Lazy version...), cover with a baking sheet and fill with beans or whatever you take for blindbaking. Bake for 10 minutes, take the beans and the paper away and bake for another 5 minutes.
In the meantime mix the Philadelphia, yoghurt, almonds, sugar and egg till smooth and season with some lemon zest if you like. Cut the chocolat in pieces, wash the berries and gently stirm it into the mixture.
Fill the mixture into the dough, sprinkle with a handfull of sliced almonds and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.
Allow plenty of time to cool down, preferably in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment