Monday 19 December 2011

Day 19

My favorite Swiss Christmas song is not a traditional one. It is from a Christmas play, called "Zäller Wiehnacht" cause it was first played in a village called Zell. I guess almost everybody who grew up in Switzerland in the last 50 years know the song and in the meantime this one plus the one about the Star of Bethlehem even found their way into the churchs caroll books.



I'm not sure if I have English readers. I hope so of course! So I sat down for some minutes and tried to translate it a bit. I translated the first four verse. Afterwards there comes a part with another tune I don't know.... As last verse, verse one is repeated.

Oh what a night
Brought to us by the  Saviour
made the poor become rich

Have you heard about it?
Priase the lord
our Saviour came to earth

on the fields and the leas
animals wake up as well
feel this enormous wonder as well

This is the holy night
Brough to us by the Saviour
made the poor become rich

No comments:

Post a Comment