Sunday 27 May 2012

My tiny balcony

My balcony is the size of a postage  stamp. 2 square meters and facing north. Well done, dear architect! When I first saw the flat it was winter and dark and I spent no thought about the balcony till I've moved in and spring came. As I love to sit outside, I decided to make the best out of it.

I learned quite some things about small balconys these last years and now I'm almost happy with it. But still, if my balcony would mysteriousely grow, I'd be more than pleased!

 As the balcony is facing north, I normally have hortensia (red/blue pot) and fuchsias (yellow and green pot) though this year I also try some lavender (red pot)

Towering up 
Place your flowers and decoration on a shelf. This gives you a lot additional space and flowers will get more sun as a nice side effect

Away with it 
There is even space for a big box on the shelf, where you can store all the stuff you'll need for your tiny garden like soil, shovel, flower pots and gloves. If the box is stable enough, cover it with a nice pillow or something and use it as foot-rest

Pot(tering) about 
A flower pot is a nice storage place for things you'd like to have at hand like scissors, candles and matches. You can even find a can of bubble liquid in mine one as I love to send soap bubbles out into stormy nights

Widespread connections 
Use flower boxes and attach them outside the balcony on the railing. But make sure that they are safely fixed so that they can't fall down.

Colour things up 
To make a small place more comfy, use colourful pots and/or add a bright spot with pillows or table clothes. Candles are another great source of colours.

Edge cases 
I don't like to have things on the railing when I'm not home cause I always fear that it might fall down. But once I'm out on the balcony, the railings give me some extra space to place candles or a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment